What better time than now to consider all the changes to implement in order to start next year on the right foot, be it a new look, renew your wardrobe or change home, a new year is a great opportunity to start from scratch. With these tips for moving home, you will be in and settled in in no time.
Here, are some tips that will help you move home without spending too much unnecessary time, effort and money. Use these simple steps to make the transition smooth and stress free.
- Get rid of items you do not like. This will mean you have to pack less and make your new home feel fresh. This small modification can completely change the entire moving process.
- Change the positioning of your furniture, there is no need to buy new and expensive items. Try to experiment with the order in which you have them already. You will be surprised how different your spaces can look once you do.
- Start packing early. If you have a date set in for moving everything, then get started earlier than you think. Packing and unpacking can be the most strenuous part. So packing up all the things you won’t use before you love will cut a lot of time on the big day. If its all too much or you have large heavy awkward items, you can call in the professionals to provide expert packing and removal services.
- Book early – If you’re hiring a professional moving service or having services such as painters or cleaners perform work before your move, book early. Waiting to do so could mean paying a higher price or not being able to get a truck or movers at all, particularly if it’s peak moving season.
- Label all your boxes with the room its contents is from. This will help you and your movers easily put the box in the right room ready for you to unpack. Adding numbers to each box and also keeping a running inventory list to hand is the best way to keep track of what you’ve packed―and to make sure you haven’t forgot anything.
- Consider which items will need special attention. Some moving companies treat TVs like its just another piece of furniture, using quilted-furniture pads to protect them. Plasma TVs, on the other hand, will need a special wooden crate for shipping, or the original box it came with, as plasma TVs can be ruined if you lay them flat. If you’re packing yourself, double-box your TV, setting the box containing the TV into another box that has been pre-padded with paper.
- Get all the big projects done before you move in. If you plan to change the floors, add new lighting, or paint every wall then do this before you move. It will take away the stress on moving day. It will also feel amazing to walk in to a fresh new place that is all yours.
- Organise your utilities. It’s very easy to forget to take note of final meter readings, but but by doing so you will save yourself a lot of stress. It can be as simple as taking a photo on your phone. You can register with new internet providers ahead of time, as well as gas, electric and water suppliers. If you’re not staying with the same provider at your new home, you should call to say you have sold that house and that account is closed, just in case the new owner is not as organised as you! Organising these things in advance means you will know your final costs and can avoid unexpected bills.
Use these ten simple tips to make the moving process simpler, easier, and a whole lot smoother. Moving house is a huge job and taking it slow and organised is the answer. Go out of your comfort zone when it comes to how you do things, it might just surprise you.